Betsy "Boots" McCann has a vibrant laugh and loves doing serious work in empowering and uplifting ways. Her superpowers include: coaching public speaking, job interview training, amplifying the energy in a room, connecting people from her vast network of personal and professional allies, boisterously addressing systemic inequality, and challenging others to live better, do better, and be better.
Boots learned most of this the hard way-- from her childhood on a farm, her matriarchal family, her years as an activist, her invaluable teaching and coaching experiences at Morehouse College and James Madison University, and as an instructor inside Texas's State and Federal Prisons. As Head of People Operations at Valkyrie Trading, she combines her passion for employee empowerment with her culture-building skills to promote Valkyrie's spirit of intellectual collaboration. Additionally, Boots has had the pleasure of working locally for the Fight for 15 and the Spark Program.
Boots earned her Ph.D. in Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications from Texas A&M University with an emphasis on international agricultural development, nonprofit leadership, and organizational development. Her dissertation created an ethics-driven program planning and evaluation framework for working in resource-limited contexts and incorporated a case study of her work with the Center for Farmworker Families in Cuquio, Jalisco. She currently serves as the Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Center for Farmworker Families.
Betsy speaks on a variety of topics, including:
- *Who are these People?: Audience Analysis to Build Successful Messaging
- *Becoming an Agent of Change for Yourself and Others
- *"Yes I Fear it More than Death": Public Speaking for those who Avoid Public Speaking
- *How Can I Help?: Creating the Casual (and Causal) Coalition
- *Showing up to Work: How to be Present and Passionate at your Day Job
- *Getting the Dream to Work: Building and Maintaining Dynamic Teams
- *Level-Up your Leadership