Betsey O’Brien, Writing Coach and Founder of Pen & Hand, introduces people to the health-boosting benefits of capturing their thoughts on paper a few times a week.
Emphasizing the value of journaling by hand as a means of aligning our thoughts and experiences with our deepest needs, Betsey helps her students get the most from their personal writing. She offers group and private workshops for new writers, stressed-out moms and dads, and focused sessions for those working their way through a painful divorce, career change or health crisis.
Before launching Pen & Hand, Betsey served a wide range of corporate and nonprofit clients as a strategist and writer with Desire Path Marketing. A graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, mother of two and a longtime resident of Oak Park, Illinois, she is an active member of the Professional Women’s Club of Chicago and 2016-17 president of West Suburban Women Entrepreneurs.
Here’s a sampling of the talks Betsey has given recently in the Chicago area:
• How to write your way through life’s toughest times
• Courage on the page: calming your inner critic
• The surprising health benefits of personal writing
• Embracing the imperfectly wonderful side of parenting
• Starting over: why it’s never too late to edit your life story
• Writing for creativity and leadership