Elvia Rodriguez Ochoa is a multi-disciplinary artist, educator and administrator with over 20 years of experience working in nonprofit community settings. She has led and worked for several non-profit organizations in Pilsen, including as a founding artist of Polvo Alternative Space, served on the Boards of Taller Mestizarte, La Voz de Los de Abajo, and Calles y Suenos. For 10 years, Elvia was Director of Community Programs at Pros Arts Studio (now Elevarte), and she contributed to organizations including Fiesta del Sol/ Pilsen Neighbors Community Council, and Gallery 37 as an educator and an artist. She currently sits on the Board at Elevarte. Elvia is currently the Neighborhoods Program Director at Openlands.
Elvia speaks on a variety of topics, including:
- Community based arts projects (various including History of Dia de Los Muertos in Pilsen)
- Finding your own path (on unexpected career turns)
- What does it mean to be internationalist
- Advocating for better quality of life in all communities
- Growing up bilingual, bicultural, binational
- Chicago Politics is a full contact sport